Plumbing the sink drain in your kitchen is probably one of the easiest DIY things you can do in your home.
A lot of homeowners typically carry this out on their own. The steps involved in installing the kitchen sink drain usually are just a few, and you are finished before you even know it.
So in today’s article, we will look at how you can install the sink drain in your kitchen all on your own.
We will also look at some of the most common mistakes that people make when installing the sink drain in their kitchens.
So, if you have been looking for a detailed tutorial to guide you on how to install your kitchen sink drain, then you are reading the right article on the net at the moment. Let us now get down to business.
How To Install Your Kitchen Sink Drain By Yourself
We will look at the steps necessary to help you install your kitchen sink drain. Below are the steps, and please follow them closely.
- The first thing to do is turn off the water supply to the sink. You have to do this because you cannot have water flowing through the sink while working on it.
Allowing water to flow through the sink while working on it can lead to some problems that you would surely love to avoid.
These kinds of issues can even be expensive to fix. So always make sure that you have turned off the water supply to the sink before you begin the installation project.
- After you have turned off the water supply to the sink, the next thing to do is remove the old sink drain to install the new one.
Make sure to put on gloves and safety goggles for your protection. This is always important.
Never carry out any DIY jobs without getting in the proper protective gear. After getting your safety gear, put a small pan under the sink you are working on so that it will catch any pipes and parts that will fall or come loose while you are removing the old sink drain.
Now, unscrew all the plumbing lines from the old sink drain till you see that the whole sink drain has been disconnected.
You should also include the hot water line if you have one you can use a wench to get this job done quickly or even use your gloved hand.
- After you have removed all the plumbing lines, take your flathead screwdriver to pry the old sink drain from under the main sink.
If you notice that the sink drain is not coming off, you can hit it carefully with a hammer to make it come loose so you can try to remove it with the screwdriver again.
You can also scrape away any sealant that may be causing an issue before you try clearing the old sink drain, and doing this first will make it easier to remove the sink drain.
- Now that you have finally been able to remove the old sink drain, the next step is to clean it under the sink and around the sink, especially where you will be connecting the new sink drain.
Doing this ensures that no pieces get leftover from the old sink drain. You should also check underneath the sink and ensure that the pale is clean from any dirt or debris.
The place where the new sink drain is connected also has to be cleaned very well. When there is any sealant from the old sink drain there, it can make it difficult for you to install the new one.
This makes it hard for the new sink drain to sit level with other drains on the different sides. So make you have to make sure to clean the place properly.
- After you make sure that everything that needs to be cleaned has been cleaned and everything else that needs to be checked has been checked, you can then proceed to install the new sink drain.
It would help to look at how far the water lines stick up above your countertop. You can take a ruler and hold it along the water lines under the sink against the back walls.
This measurement will also allow you to know how much space you will be working with when installing the new sink drain.
- Now take the new sink drain and then set it where you want to fix it. The rubber gasket should face down on top of the countertop.
After you have positioned the new sink drain where you want it to go, put washers and nuts on each side of it and twist them together with your wench or a socket set.
If any more pieces need to be connected to help the new sink drain, attach those parts before you do or put anything else below the sink.
You can now connect the plumbing pipes to the new sink drain and then turn the water supply to the sink drain.
- After turning on the water supply, check to see if you will discover any leaks. If you notice any leaks, turn off the water supply and then tighten the new sink drain some more to make sure that it has been firmly screwed together.
Doing this can help to stop the water from leaking. After you have checked everything and made sure that everything is alright, turn the water supply on again and have fun using your new sink drain.
Common Mistakes That Arise When Installing A New Sink Drain
We will take a look at some of the problems that occur when you are installing your new sink drain in your kitchen. Please take note of these issues so you can deal with them quickly when they arise.
Not Making Use Of Enough Plumber Putty
When you do not use enough plumber putty or sealant on the new sink drain, it can lead to problems later on, which may cost a lot to fix.
To avoid such problems, always go over all the delicate areas of the new sink drain after installing it, and then apply some more sealant and plumber putty.
Doing this will prevent any leaks from affecting any connection points between your new sink drain and the plumbing lines.
Screwing The Pieces Down Too Hard
When you screw the pieces down too hard, this can also cause you some problems. One such problem that may arise when you try to force a drain flange into place is the screws getting stripped out on the other side.
You will have to move the new sink drain assembly back up and then get the screws through the bottom when this happens.
You will have to do this by twisting the sink drain until it meets the corresponding holes.
So these are some of the mistakes that can happen while installing your new sink drain. Look at some tips you may need to know about the sink drain.
How To Remove The Sink Stopper
This can be quite a challenge due to the wire that is inside. The plunger uses the wire inside as a spring mechanism to move up and down.
The rubber piece gets attached to the plunger to shut off the water from going down the drain. When removing the sink stopper, it is advisable to allow all the air out first.
If not, you end up getting burned by hot water that is trying to go through the drain’s opening. When you follow the correct steps in removing the sink drain, it will save you time and problems and prevent you from hurting yourself accidentally.
Here are the steps to remove the sink stopper below. Please follow them carefully.
- Put a rug into the sink drain opening to prevent anything such as tools or parts of the plunger from falling out of it.
- Place a bucket under the drain opening. The opening is the place where the water will go once you pry off the wires that hold the pieces together with your pliers. You will not have to worry about emptying it later. Make sure that the bucket is placed far away enough to prevent any accidents, such as kicking it over and spilling the contents in it on the floor.
- Make sure to wear protective gloves and goggles when you are doing this. You should wear protective clothing when working around anything that can burn you. The rubber gasket gets hot quite quickly, so you should wear your gloves before doing this work.
Several factors come into play when installing a sink drain in either your kitchen or your bathroom.
When you understand how to carry out the installation correctly, you save yourself time and prevent any unwanted problems and accidents that may arise later due to the job not being done correctly.
That is why we put this detailed and straightforward article together to aid you in installing a new sink drain when you have to do something like that.
Always wear protective clothing whenever you are doing any work like this.
I hope this article has been of great help to you and you are now
confident in fixing your new sink drain in your kitchen. Please make sure to visit this site for more articles relating to proper home renovations.
You can also read our guide on how to protect your kitchen cabinet from water damage.
Thanks for reading at HouseTuts.com, scroll down to read the next related article, did I miss something you were looking for? Don’t forget to leave a feedback on the comment section, you can also share to help others. Connect with us on Facebook, Twitter and Instagram